As your pregnancy advances, your body goes through a multitude of changes. These changes can be related to weight, hormones or even stress! This puts a lot of pressure on your spine and lower back.
Here’s why you need to take care of your back:
- Pregnancy Weight Gain - When you take care of your back and posture, the chance of you gaining a lot of weight is less. This will also ensure that complications will be minimal, and your labor will be considerably easier.
- Proper Sleep - Sleep is very important during pregnancy, and taking care of your back ensures just that. You automatically sleep better and there are lesser instances of you waking up during the night.
- Improves Self-Confidence - Pregnancy takes a toll on you physically as well as mentally. So, it’s important that you stay confident and show the confidence. The more confident you are, the more you glow!
So, how can you take care of your back? Here are a few things you can do:
- Exercise Regularly: Exercising regularly can keep your back strong. Stretches, swimming, yoga and walking will keep your body strong and help you have a firm back.
- Maintain a Good Posture: As your advance in pregnancy, your center of gravity shifts forward. This might result in you leaning back and walking, resulting in lower back pain. Maintain the right posture by standing up straight, holding your chest high and keeping your shoulders back.
- Wear the right shoes: You must have heard this enough number of times, but it’s just that important. During pregnancy, avoid wearing high heels as well as flats. Wear low heels (0.5 to 1 inch) which have a good arch support.
Despite all this, if the back pain still persists, you should visit your doctor.
Here’s to having a happy and safe pregnancy!