Super foods for a breastfeeding mum:
- Fish, especially Salmon - Like many other fatty fish, salmon too has lots of good fat called the DHA. DHA is important for your newborn's nervous system development.
- Low-fat (or fat-free) dairy products - Yogurt, cheese, milk, ghee, butter, cottage cheese, are all great food choices when you breastfeed. They are great sources of calcium, vitamins B and D, and protein too.
- Beans and Pulses - Beans, both fresh and dried, are great sources of iron and protein. It is the perfect food for a vegetarian who is not in the mood for a dairy food.
- Oranges, Gooseberries, and other berries - Oranges, gooseberries and other citrus fruits are pumped with the much-needed vitamin C. Other berries, especially blueberries, are the best when you consider its yummy taste and antioxidant characteristics.
- Eggs (egg yolks, as well) - Egg yolks are filled with vitamin D, which is just as essential as calcium for the strengthening of your and your baby's bones.
- And of course, Water and other liquids - You know how important it is. And you know just why. Drink a lot of water and juices (fresh fruit and vegetable juice, if possible). Keep yourself super hydrated.
All said and done, relax. Take a chill pill. You're going through a priceless phase. Cherish it.