Oh, the nightmares of labour are behind you. But, parenting has only just begun. Don't be anxious or restless. We'll walk you through your new role in 5 easy steps.
1. You'll witness yourself juggling a lot (hopefully, with your husband's help). You'll have to feed, burp, clean your baby a lot, and sometimes all at once. And just when you think you are free to relax, your baby will need assistance to either sleep (giving you a tad bit time for yourself too) or wake up (for another cycle of feeding, burping, and pooping). Hard as it may sound, take time away from everything else and focus on giving your baby the best growth days of his/her life by doing it right and with utmost patience.
2. If you have been a multitasker and an overachiever all your life, it is time to lower that bar. When your baby comes along, the only multitasking you're going to be doing is feed, burp, and clean. While it may not seem like an accomplishment just yet, you'll soon know that it is going to be one of the greatest accomplishments of your life. After everything is done and dusted, you'll find yourself smiling at the littlest emotions you see on your baby's face and loving every moment his/her little fingers and toes touch you. So, it isn't so much about lowering your expectation (per say) as it is about expecting different things.
3. Don't be selfless (or stupid, or both). If someone offers to help by taking care of your baby or doing some of those things you are meant to do, do not even consider hesitating. JUST. SAY. YES.
4. Sleep and eat whenever you can. Your baby's sleeping. Perfect! Snuggle in. Your baby's being fed. Good. Demand that you should be too, right then. If you do not eat and sleep every chance you get, you are probably never going to.
5. Amidst all your juggling, multitasking, saying yes to help and no to everything else, and sleeping and eating (or the lack of it), do not ignore the priceless moments you get with your baby. Now that's pure ecstasy.
P.S. Remember to relax. Take a chill pill. You're going through a priceless phase. Cherish it.